Monday 7 November 2011

The risks and joys of buying online


You all know I love to buy from independent sellers online. I'm always looking for unique items to decorate my house. I've bought numerous prints on Etsy, and many handmade, vintage or other products in mostly Dutch webshops. Usually I recieved nice packages, really quick and more often than not nicely wrapped and with great extras.
I've always tried to spread the word about these shops and their amazing service on my blog and Twitter because I know shops like that can use all support.

However, I also once had a really bad experience which I can't get out of my head. I was still relatively new in online (indy) shopping when my friends gave me some money for my 30th birthday to buy something pretty for  my home. I bought a cushion and a towel at a Dutch online shop I had read about in Dutch magazines. It felt ok, since I also 'knew' the owner via our blogs (and now also Twitter). So I thought it was safe. Then, I never received my items. I have send a couple of emails, and the answer was always: ' I am waiting for a delivery from my agent'. After a couple of months I din't believe I would ever get it and asked for a refund. I never got my money, although I've kept asking.
This person is still active in the blogging community. I could meet her in person if I would go to meet-ups of Dutch bloggers, so it feels like someone I know has stolen my money. Now every time I buy something I feel hesitant.

The thing is, although I always tweet or post about good service, I've never done so about this bad experience. I've thought about it a hundred times, because I know some of you are still buying at this shop and are taking a risk of loosing their money.
Still it feels like it's 'not done' to do so, I don't know why. I guess one of the reasons is that I don't want to discourage anyone buying from Indie sellers, because in the end usually it is a great experience. I do know I wish someone had warned me.

So guys, whats, your opinion on this? Ever hesitated buying online? Ever had a bad experience? And did you share that experience online? Did you go to the police? I'm so curious for your thoughts!

7 comments:

variouskinds said...

I always hesitate to buy online. I never had a bad experience yet. But the things online are sometimes hard to find in a shop nearby?

Karen. said...

Ik heb net het omgekeerde gehad.. een aantal stempels gemaakt voor iemand en daarna maanden niets meer van gehoord. Blijven mailen,.. en vragen om te storten. Na enkele maanden stond het plots wel op mijn rekening. (gelukkig goede afloop dus..)

Ben wel benieuwd naar over welke winkel je het hebt.. :s

wijeisenijs said...

Hi Karen, thanks for your comments! I've never thought about that, but of course you are right, the opposite also happens. Selling online comes with risks and joys as well...

eline said...

Is het de winkel die begint met een "L"?

Sjaantje said...

Ik koop heel veel online. En heel soms gaat het niet helemaal zoals het hoort. Ik heb wel eens heel lang op mijn spullen moeten wachten. Uiteindelijk kwam de bestelling dan wel binnen. Maar met plezier bij hun bestellen doe ik niet meer. Maar de ze week nog bestelde ik iets, en het lag al in mijn brievenbus voor ik goed en wel betaald had. Zo kan het dus ook!

Liefgeval said...

Hoi Marije,
Ik kom even aanwaaien vanuit pinterest waar ik een foto van een leuk hoekje uit je huis tegenkwam :). Toevallig las ik dit stukje en wilde ik toch even reageren. Ik ben een echte online shopper en 9 van de 10 ervaringen die ik heb gehad waren super. 1 keer heb ik een wat mindere ervaring gehad en zonder er ook maar over na te denken heb ik erover geblogd. Ondanks dat ik min of meer dankzij mijn blogverhaaltje een gelukkige afloop kreeg heb ik er achteraf toch spijt van gehad dat ik mijn blog voor mijn gevoel een beetje had 'misbruikt'. En eenmaal op internet, altijd op internet, je kunt het nooit meer terug nemen. Later heb ik de beslissing genomen het blogverhaaltje alsnog te verwijderen omdat het was opgelost en het me niet meer eerlijk leek als het nog opgevist zou worden. Wat ik dus eigenlijk wil zeggen, ondanks dat ik heel nieuwschierig ben naar deze persoon: Wees voorzichtig, wie weet is deze persoon ook een 'geliefd' persoon en doe je er niet goed aan voor jezelf. Verder vind ik het heel rot voor je en hoop ik dat het nog opgelost kan worden! Groetjes Nikki

wall decals said...

I concur with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your future updates. The usefulness and significance is overwhelming and has been invaluable to me!